SUNDAY MESSAGE December 13, 2020
JOIN US FOR WORSHIP and message, “Who Are You?” from John 1:6-8, 19-27, in the comfort and safety of your home this Sunday. If you’d like to participate in the lighting of the Advent candles, please gather a candle to celebrate the Third Sunday of Advent with us.
Visit our Facebook page
at about 9:25 AM for a music video to prepare ourselves for worship, then the message at 9:30 AM and another music video to help us reflect on the message. You may see the message on YouTube.
Greeting and Announcements
Opening Prayer (in unison)
Merciful God, you sent your messengers the prophets to preach repentance and prepare the way for our salvation. Give us grace to heed their warnings and forsake our sins, that we may greet with joy the coming of Jesus Christ, our Redeemer; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen. (The Book of Common Prayer, U.S.A., 20th Cent., ALT.)
Lighting the Advent Candles
O Come, O Come Emmanuel (#211, Vs. 3, singing a’capella)
O come, O come, great Lord of might,
Who to thy tribes on Sinai’s height
In ancient times once gave the law
In cloud and majesty and awe.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.
Scripture: John 1:6-8, 19-27
RUTH’S HARVEST NEEDS the following items; all in individual serving sizes: Animal Crackers, pears, carrots, Pop Tarts, cereal, Ramen Noodles, macaroni and cheese, Peanut Butter To-Go, oatmeal and any other single-serve foods you feel led to offer.
Please leave items between our church doors, take them to the hall and leave them in the designated blue bucket on the counter, or drop them at the Carroll Valley Borough Office in the box as you go in the front doors. Thank you in advance for offering to help students, especially during this confusing and difficult time!
CHRISTMAS OUTREACH PROJECTS Collections for the 2 Summer Food families have ended and gifts were distributed. The sock collection (214 pairs!) was divided and given to residents of Hillside Personal Care and New Hope Shelter. Thank you to all who were able to support these efforts. If you wanted to donate but have not yet had the opportunity to give, there will be upcoming projects.
On-Going Collections Include:
• Monthly collection for the Blue Ridge Help Hotline (Food Bank) and,
• Monthly collection for Ruth’s Harvest and,
• Collection of winter scarves, hats and gloves collection for the December 20 Fairfield Food Pantry pick-up. Donations can be dropped off inside the back door of the Fairfield Mennonite Church, 201 West Main St., Fairfield.
CHRISTMAS EVE SERVICE
• Weather permitting, we will host a brief, in-person, outdoor Christmas Eve service in the church yard on December 24 at 6 PM. We will mask and physically distance.
• Those who have the need may park in the church yard to worship in their vehicles. Attendees may bring a chair or choose to stand.
• Battery-operated candles will be used.
• Invitation bags will be given to neighbors to participate with us; in the church yard, in their own yards or on their own porches.